Volunteer Opportunity with Adelante in Honduras
International Field Correspondent
The Adelante Foundation, a 501 (c) 3 microfinance institution (and charter member of the Colorado Microfinance Alliance) whose mission is to improve the standard of living for extremely poor women living in Honduras. Since its inception in 2000, the Adelante Foundation has provided short-term loans to women in rural Honduras as a means to start and grow small businesses.
Learn more at www.adelantefoundation.org
Overview of Work
We are currently seeking a volunteer International Field Correspondent for a commitment of one year with a focus on writing stories and gathering information from the field pertaining to microfinance in Honduras. This individual will focus his/her efforts on producing material to be used in conjunction with Adelante Foundation’s marketing materials, newsletter, social media channels and blog. The applicant will be based out of our home office in La Ceiba, Honduras. He/she will be required to travel extensively throughout Honduras to interact with our borrowers, their businesses and credit officers. This is a unique opportunity for an individual experienced in journalism, communications, public relations and/or social media with a commitment to international development, and self-motivated and creative enough to work “backpack” style.
- Interest in international development
- Commitment to the advancement of the rural Honduran poor
- Strong writing skills (descriptions for newsletters, web, social media, press releases)
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient in English and Spanish
- Ability to manage time well & successfully meet deadlines
- Familiarity with WordPress, Google Analytics, and with mass e-mail marketing programs such as Constant Contact
- Using social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) as public face and forum for nonprofit organization.
- A general interest in photography and use of simple editing software
- An independent traveler comfortable navigating the country alone, staying overnight in hotels.
- Comfortable traveling at length on the back of a motorcycle
Commitment & Compensation
We are looking for someone who can commit to a flexible schedule for one full year with a monthly stipend of $500.00 per month with an approximate start date of September 1, 2011. All in-country travel expenses will be covered.
Please submit a cover letter that explains your interest and qualifications, resume, and one creative writing sample to Kendra@adelantefoundation.org with International Field Correspondent in the subject line. We will contact well qualified applicants for an interview.